Writing to Learn and Succeed
Writing is a path to discovery and success in school and life! Good writers will be in high demand in the 21st century marketplace. At Focus on Learning, we know there’s a writer in every student. That’s why our writing tutoring sessions with our highly trained professionals turn frustrated, reluctant writers into enthusiasts ready to meet new challenges. We do more than offer standardized guidance on class assignments. We give students a reason to write—and to love writing.
We tailor our sessions to every student’s specific needs.
HERE’S WHAT FOCUS ON LEARNING WRITING STUDENTS RECEIVE
- Step by step guidance through the writing process—from vague idea to finished product
- Engaging assignments that motivate and stimulate
- Lessons individualized for each student’s learning style
Students of all ages who attend multiple sessions with us will be on their way to having writing skills that will carry them through college—and beyond.
STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE TO
- Organize thoughts more clearly
- Better use appropriate grammar and syntax
- Understand why they’re writing—and why it’s important
- Better use standard spelling
- Revise and edit their work
- Meet different writing expectations (short answers, essays, research papers, poetry, and short stories)
Each student is paired with an experienced, professional writing teacher who understands and loves the writing process. We model a variety of writing styles and always allow time for purposeful, creative writing. We offer ongoing feedback and teach students strategies for editing, correcting, and revising.
YOUR STUDENT WILL
Be pre-tested using informal writing samples and, if needed, supplemental standardized tests that evaluate specific mechanical skills, including spelling.
- Work with an experienced writing teacher to develop an individualized writing program and set clear goals.
- Receive ongoing feedback—shared with parents—and re-testing where necessary.
- Learn to maximize technology for editing and use voice-activated programs for right-brain learners whose writing skills fall behind their oral proficiency.
- Develop a rapport with the teacher that fosters the confidence and motivation needed for good writing.
Students who learn to write well experience greater success across the curriculum in school. In the 21st century, clear, accurate writing is a much-needed skill in workplaces dominated by digital communications.
The secret to excellent writing begins with making writing a part of one’s daily life. Excellent writers write often. Students who come to Focus on Learning lose their fear of writing and learn to embrace the potential writing offers as a source of inspiration, discovery, and growth.