- College Entrance – higher scores open many more doors
- Scholarships – every point counts. The higher the score, the higher the scholarship.
- A score of 31 or higher automatically earns a Missouri resident a $2000 “Bright Flight” scholarship to all Missouri colleges and universities.
- ACT scores are directly tied to all other scholarship awards as well.
All accredited colleges and universities in the U.S. accept the ACT.
All Missouri high school juniors are required to take the ACT in April. They take the four subject test and the writing test.
- Multiple choice standardized test questions
- Four sections: English, Math, Reading, and Science
- Scored on a scale of 1-36
- Offered six times each year: in September, October, December, February, April, and June. For a charge, students can order copies of their graded December, April, and June ACT tests.
- Measures a student’s reasoning and writing skills
- Missouri juniors are required to take writing portion of the test when they take the ACT in April
- The test is scored on a scale of 8-36 based on 4 domain scores, each having a scale of 2-12. Writing score is not included in the composite score but yields two additional scores: a Writing Score and a Composite English/Writing Score.
- The Super Score is obtained by computing the highest subject score a student earns on all prior ACT tests in English, Reading, Math, and Science.
- Super scores help both students and universities raise composite scores
Example: a student who has scored an 18, 21, and 24 on three Math ACT tests will receive a 24 on the math super score.
- ACT provides accommodations, including extra time, for students with IEPS and 504 Plans
- Request for accommodations must be made by the school counselor at least 6 weeks before test
- Minimum ACT score for entry to the University of Missouri is a 21.
- Average ACT score at the University of Missouri is a 25.
Minimum ACT scores for University of Missouri Scholarships
|Award||ACT Score||Other Criteria||Application||Scholarship Amount|
|Excellence Award||27-36||Top 25% class rank||Automatic||$2000|
|Excellence Award||27-36||Top 50% class rank||Automatic||$1000|
|Curator’s Award||28||Top 5% class rank||Automatic||$4500|
|Chancellor’s Award||31||Top 10% class rank||Automatic||$6500|
|Quadrangle Award||30||Homeschooled or non-accredited high school||Automatic||$2000|
|Mizzou Scholars Award||33||Excellent high school record||Apply by Dec 1 with resume and essay||$10000|
|Dr. Donald Suggs Scholarship||27||Minority Scholarship||Apply by Dec 1||$15000 with additional $7000 possible for study abroad|
|George C. Brooks Scholarship||25||Minority Scholarship||Apply by Dec 1||$7500|
20 Highest Ranked Colleges
|4 (tied)||University of Chicago||32/35|
|7||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||33/35|
|9||University of Pennsylvania||31/34|
|10 (tied)||California Institute of Technology||34/35|
|10 (tied)||Johns Hopkins||31/34|
|12 (tied)||Dartmouth College||30/34|
|12 (tied)||Northwestern University||31/34|
|15 (tied)||Cornell University||30/34|
|15 (tied)||Vanderbilt University||32/34|
|15 (tied)||Washington University||32/34|
|18 (tied)||Rice University||31/34|
|18 (tied)||University of Notre Dame||32/34|
ACT scores for direct admission to competitive programs at the University of Missouri
|Program||ACT Composite||ACT Math|
|Civil and Environmental Engineering||32||32|
|Electrical and Computer Engineering||32||32|
|Mechanical and Aerospace||32||32|
|Industrial and Manufacturing Systems||32||32|
Average ACT Scores for Missouri Colleges and Universities
|School||Average ACT Score|
|Central Methodist University||21|
|Missouri University of Science & Technology||28|
|Missouri State University||24|
|University of Missouri||25|
|University of Missouri-Kansas City||24|