We offer in-person and online private ACT tutoring.
Private (one-on-one) ACT tutoring is the most effective tutoring we offer.
Why is one-on-one ACT tutoring so effective?
Private tutoring is the gold standard of ACT prep. It is focused and efficient. Every session is geared specifically to the needs of each student. We start by setting goal scores–for the composite and for each subtest–and then we develop a plan. For example, a student whose goal score is a 25 but who has previous scores of 28 in English and 18 in math will develop a different study plan than a student whose goal is also a 25 but who starts with scores of 18 in English and 28 in math.
It is as beneficial to spend time to raise a student’s high scores as the low because it is easier to build on strengths than remediate weaknesses. Thus, for example, a student who starts with 28s only needs to answer 5 more questions in English and 6 more in math to reach a 33. This is a realistic goal. In contrast, a student with an 18 only reaches 20 answering 5 more in English and 21 answering 6 more in math. The total goal score is an average of the 4 scores.
During private ACT tutoring sessions, students
- Set a goal score and learn how many correct answers are needed to reach it.
- Work with two subject specialist coaches: English/Reading and Math/Science.
- Receive customized test-taking strategies and subject review.
- Complete homework that includes the most recent ACT practice tests. We teach strategies in our tutoring sessions and give students tests to practice on for homework. The more practice tests students are prepared to take, the higher thier scores will be.
What are the benefits of private ACT prep tutoring?
- Flexible scheduling, including weekends
- Instruction geared entirely to each student’s needs
- Homework assignments individualized for each student—built-in review is included as needed.
- Immediate feedback and assessment of progress
- Safe work environment–no embarrassment asking questions
Who benefits from private ACT prep tutoring?
- Ideal for top scorers pushing for 31 and higher
- Excellent for students who are uncomfortable asking questions in a class setting.
- Students who are reserved and won’t ask questions in a class setting
- The best option for low scorers (16-21) who lack confidence and feel overwhelmed by the test.
4 hours for each ACT subtest: English, math, reading, and science. We then adjust the hours based on how well a student progresses. Each student’s schedule is geared to achieve maximum success.
ACT Reading Tutoring
What are the benefits of ACT reading tutoring?
Private ACT reading tutoring helps every student to
- Set a goal score and know how many questions he/she has to answer correctly to reach it.
- Prioritize passages, so the student is working to his/her strengths.
- Learn to identify the structure of passages.
- Identify and avoid specific traps built into every test.
- Interpret questions correctly.
- Learn pacing strategies for getting through the text and when to “let go” of a question and guess
ACT Math Tutoring
Private ACT math tutoring combines math review with test-taking strategies for this 60 questions 60-minute test. Overall, students have most difficulty with this section of the ACT. The content of the math test is based on a curriculum that most students have completed by the beginning of their senior year:
What are the benefits of ACT math tutoring?
Students work with a math teacher/coach who will show each student how
- To set a goal score
- Review the major math topics on the test
- Identify specific strategies for each content area
- Estimate efficiently
- To pace their progress and when to guess on questions.
- To use the calculator for maximum effect
What are the benefits of ACT English tutoring?
In one-on-one English tutoring sessions students learn to
- Approach the test as editors who can identify correct choices and change incorrect ones. This is by far the easiest and most predicative test on the ACT to master. To date, our highest score jump has ben 12 points.
- Review and apply rules of punctuation
- Review and apply grammar rules
- Interpret rhetorical questions
- Ignore the ACT suggestion that they read the passage before starting to answer questions
- Learn effective pacing strategies
- Learn when to guess.
ACT Science Tutoring
What are the benefits of ACT science tutoring?
Students will learn how to
- Apply research principled and their science background to ACT questions.
- Recognize 3 types of passages: Data Representation, Research Summaries, and Conflicting Viewpoints
- Review facts from elementary school science
- Use the five research principles found on every science test.
- Develop a “science sense” for making educated guesses.