Successful Study Skills for School and Life
Lack of study skills strategies creates serious problems for many students at all levels, and timely intervention is essential to eliminate the stress that accompanies poor study habits: homework is overlooked or goes missing, important assignments are forgotten, and studying for tests is limited to a cursory glance at incomplete notes. Homework issues also cause conflict at home.
We offer individualized one-on-one instruction that relates directly to each student’s school work.
Our study skill interventions help turn confused, reluctant studiers into confident, efficient learners.
STUDENTS LEARN A BROAD RANGE OF STUDY SKILLS, INCLUDING HOW TO
- Manage time and balance study with other activities
- Use iPad or iPhone and Google Calendar to track assignments and tests
- Organize school materials so they have what they need when they need it and don’t waste time shuffling through piles of folders and papers
- Take good notes in class
- Monitor their learning
- Develop good study guides for tests
- Take tests with confidence and skill
- Feel confident about asking questions in class
STUDENTS ALSO LEARN EFFICIENT HOMEWORK SKILLS
Get ready to study
- Make learning—and homework—a focal point for each day
- Have a specific time and place to study
- Turn off the phone, the iPod, and TV
- Keep a homework schedule
- Be an active learner: set short and long-term goals
- Finish the most difficult assignments first
- Use highlighters and post-it notes
- Realize that memorization is not the same as learning and understanding
- Recognize that re-reading notes is not enough to learn
- Stop cramming and start planning ahead for tests
Finally, we teach students how to test taking. Tests are an increasingly important part of every student’s school life. We teach students how to strategize for paper and pencil and computerized tests. Computer tests are now introduced in elementary school, requiring different strategies than paper and pencil tests. Students practice using sample tests.
WE TEACH SPECIFIC TEST-TAKING STRATEGIES FOR BOTH PAPER AND PENCIL AND COMPUTERIZED TESTS FOR
- Multiple choice tests
- Fill-in-the-blank tests
- Short answer tests
- Essay tests
- Computerized test
Students who learn effective study skills—for homework assignments and test-taking—develop organizational skills that stay with them for life.
Sign up now for our 10-hour Study Skills Package